Saturday, September 28, 2013

Milky Sponge White Buns - 海蒂的白面包


Finally I got myself a bread machine! I bought it online from Groupon and it cost about $65, which is the most cheapest I found BUT I not sure how long it can last. Groupon did not state the brand of the machine and I can't google the information. I just bought it since is pretty affordable.

After I got the machine on hand, I went google the brand and I can't find any review about this bread machine brand at all. So I guess this must be a unheard of brand which seldom people will buy. So far I had used it about 5 times, most of the time I used it to knead the dough.



After all I'm happy with the bread machine, I can just throw all the raw ingredients into the machine and let it do the job while I can leave away for a short while to do something else. Plus the noise level is pretty low when the machine was kneading the dough compare to hand mixer (loud speaker).


Here is the batch of milky, white sponge buns I made with the help of bread machine. The bread surface should be look like the title name "white" (白) colour and should not be brown colour. The instruction given was to bake for 15 min but I baked for 20 min as I afraid that the bread might uncooked in the inner / centre and that's why my batch of breads is slightly tanned.

Luckily the breads did not burned or turn hard and the texture is so springy and chewy. I divided the dough into 8 balls instead of following the book which is 6 balls. If you prefer a bigger buns than divide into 6 but I prefer a smaller one. ;)


Recipes source: 媽媽的味道:63種吃了會微笑的手作麵包&多拿滋
*Note, I using the bread machine and choose the dough function to knead the dough.

Ingredients:
- 250gm bread flour
- 200gm milk
- 10gm sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 10gm butter

Method:
  1. Reserve 2 tsp of milk (from the 200gm milk) into a small bowl / cup, add in the yeast and mix together.
  2. Pour the remaining milk into the bread machine with the sugar and salt. Follow by the bread flour and step 1 (yeast with 2 tsp milk).
  3. Choose the dough function and press the start bottom to let it knead for 20 min.  
  4. After 20 min, put the piece of butter into the machine and let it continue to knead for another 10 min. After 10 min, the dough should be smooth and can stretch into a thin sheet without breaking into holes.   
  5. Brush a layer of butter or oil in a bowl, place the dough into the bowl and cover with a cling wrap or damp cloth and leave to proof for 60 min or until double in bulk under warm place (28 to 30 degree).
  6. After dough become double, dip some flour on one of the finger and press it down on the center of the dough. If the dough remain still without flat out which mean dough are ready.
  7. Dust some flour on the counter top, remove the dough from the bowl and place on the counter top, give a few light knead to release out the gas in the dough.
  8. Weight the dough and divide into 6 or 8 balls (up to your preference on the size of the buns you want). Press lightly on the individual dough to release out the air.
  9. Roll and round each dough into a small balls shape. Cover with a cling wrap or damp cloth for 15 min.
  10. After 15 min, dust some flour on the counter top and press lightly on the individual dough to release out the air again. Roll and round each dough into a small ball shape again.
  11. Coat flour (I using plain flour) on the surface of the dough.
  12. Use a rolling pin and press it down on the center of the dough to form a shape (as shown above).
  13. Place all the dough into the baking tray, and cover the dough with cling wrap until double in bulk (about 50 min)
  14. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C and reduce the temperature to 140°C when is ready to send the dough into the oven. Bake for 15 min. 
  15. Cool the buns on a wire rack when it is done.  

No comments: