Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pandan Chiffon Cake



Does this look like a "pandan" chiffon cake? I ask this question because of the colour, it should have a light green colour but it turn out in light yellow colour. I did not use the artificial pandan paste. I bought the pandan leaves and blend together with the coconut milk and extract out the juice.

I think maybe I didn't blend more pandan leaves with the coconut milk and that's why I got a cup of light green colour.



The past one week before I bake this pandan chiffon cake, I had also baked a banana chiffon cake and a chocolate chiffon cake but both failed. At first I thought I made a batch of beautiful chiffon cake because it raised up high and tall in the oven during baking and it still stay on to the pan when I inverted it. The problem come here, when I unmold it from the pan the cake started to sink and collapse down from the center. I knew something is wrong so I cut a piece and try, the cake taste so dense. The correct texture should be light, fluffy and airy. Both banana and chocolate give me the same outcome although it did not fall off from the pan which I mention before there is once time my chiffon cake literally fall off from the pan when I inverted it.

So I was so angry and sad that I told myself, I want to bake another chiffon cake again until I get at least a pass and I did.


Honestly I was so scare when I unmold this pandan chiffon cake and luckily it turn out fine. I'm so happy when the cake remain spongy and it bounce back when I press it down slightly. The cake is light and airy but can't really taste the pandan smell. As always my mum will criticize the food I bake, she said this is my first time saw a yellow pandan chiffon cake.

*Using a 21cm chiffon tin

 Ingredient A:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 50gm castor sugar
  • 45ml vegetable oil 
  • 90gm cake flour (Sift)
Ingredient B:
  • 4 egg white
  • 50gm castor sugar
  • 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar 
Ingredient C: Pandan Juice
  • 60ml coconut milk 
  • 10-12 pandan leaves *Cut into small pieces (I would recommend more, maybe 20 pandan leaves to get the natural green colouring and of course the aromatic pandan taste)
  • 1/2 tsp pandan essence (optional)
Method:
  1. Extract pandan juice by blending the coconut milk with the pandan leaves and squeeze out the juice. Get 60ml.
  2. Separate the egg yolk and egg white into different bowl (make sure the egg white bowl do not contain any water or oil on it)
  3. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the oil. Than add the pandan juice and pandan essence and mix, follow by the sugar and mix till the sugar dissolve. 
  4. Add in the sift flour and mix until incorporated. Set aside.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites till stiff peaks form. With a spatula, fold in 1/3 of the meringue into (step 4) and mix. Continue mix the remaining meringue and make sure there are no trace of meringue can be seen in the batter.
  6. Pour batters into chiffon tin, rap tins on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles.
  7. Bake in the pre-heated oven at 170°C for 30 minutes or until insert a toothpick into the centre comes out clean. Invert the tins immediately and leave to cool completely before unmold. 

No comments: