Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pandan Roll Bun with Coconut Filling (椰子面包)


I make some pandan roll bread with the left over pandan extract coconut milk which I have used for my previous post on the pandan chiffon cake. So I decided of making some 微波面包 and sweet coconut filling bun.

I'm a coconut lover. Anything cook with coconut or make into a dessert, I will not hesitant to try it. 椰子面包 (coconut bun) is one of my favour and most of the time I will buy from the bread shop. It usually come in 4 or 6 small bun in one packet.


My wrapping skill is really lousy and if I'm not wrong this is my first time make a wrapping filling bun. The correct way should be able to see the coconut filling in the centre but mine version somehow the filling is like been push to the top and the centre filled with bread. Is not easy to wrap and seal it with filling, because the dough is soft and you have to be fast and skillful to hold on the filling within the centre than wrap and seal it. I need more practice and I wanted to! There are a lot of thing to practice, improve and learn from the mistake. 




I made two different version with the same recipe, one with coconut filling and the other is plain. This time I added store buy pandan extract to make it more fragrant with the pandan taste. Finally the pandan taste is more obvious now with the pandan extract and the colour look pretty nice too.

The coconut filling quite disappointed as the sweetness and fragrant is not the taste I want it. I used brown sugar to cook with the shredded coconut. It will be taste nicer to cook with gula melaka but I do not have in hand so I replace it with brown sugar. None-the-less the bread taste soft, fluffy and  fragrant with pandan.


(A) Sponge dough Ingredients:
  • 201gm bread flour
  • 4gm yeast
  • 16gm milk powder
  • 50gm egg (one egg)
  • 73ml pandan extract coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp pandan paste
  • 1/2 tsp pandan essence
(B) Main dough ingredients
  • 67gm bread flour
  • 40gm brown sugar
  • 4gm salt
  • 27ml fresh milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 30gm butter
(C) Coconut Filling:
  • 1 cups fresh grated coconut
  • 1/4 cups brown sugar (Gula Melaka will be a better choice)
  • 2 + 1/2 tbsp water
  • Pinch of salt
Method:

Coconut Filling:

  1. Place the sugar and water in a pan over low heat, cook until sugar dissolves, shimmer until the liquids start to thicken and become syrupy.
  2. Add grated coconut and salt, keep stirring and cook until all well combine over low heat for 10 min or until coconut filling become thick and dry.
Bread/Bun:
  1. Mix all ingredients (A) together and form into a dough (do not need to knead). Cover with a cling wrap or damp cloth and leave to proof for 90 min.
  2. After 90 min, mix all the ingredients (A) and (B) except the butter together and knead the dough until it is not so sticky. Put the piece of butter into the dough and continue to knead until the dough is smooth, look shiny and can stretch into a thin sheet without breaking into hole.
  3. Cover the dough with a cling wrap or damp cloth and leave to proof for another 50 min.
  4. After 50 min, divide the dough into each 40gm. Shape it into balls and cover the dough with a cling wrap or damp cloth, leave to rest for 10 min.
  5. After 10 min, roll out dough into long rectangle shape and roll it back like swiss roll shape for the plain bun. 
  6. For the coconut filling, roll out each dough and wrap in the coconut filling, shape it into round shape and seal it.
  7. Place the individual dough into baking tray.
  8. Cover the dough with a cling wrap or damp cloth and leave to proof for 30 min.
  9. Preheat oven at 170°C. Brush milk or egg wash on the bread surface and bake for 12-15 mins or till golden brown.

No comments: