Saturday, December 7, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cupcake

 
Yes, this will be a slightly healthier choice of cupcake if without the frosting. I bought a tub of plain yogurt accidentally and actually I wanted to buy a fruit flavour. Plain yogurt taste really awful, I have try eating it with some fruits but I just can't accept the unique tang. So as usual I will try to utilize it as not to waste the tube of yogurt.
 
 
As I'm going to a B'day party the next day so I bake a batch of cupcake and apply the frosting the next day before I head down to the chalet. I have a book call The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and I really like the swirl frosting pattern they create on the cupcake. So I went youtube and search, tadah and I found some really good video guide. If you are interested, click the link below.
 
 
 
It look so easy in the video but when you hand on it and you will know is not that kind of easy though. Need more practice to create the beautiful swirl.   
 
 
 
Here my first time trying on swirl frosting cupcake with some mini heart shape sprinkle. I added some chocolate chip into the cupcake but the original recipe didn't include. The cake are moist and soft. This is not the kind of sweet and rich taste perhaps because is using oil and yogurt instead of butter and milk. Consume it with the icing will balance the sweetness.
 
*Make 12 cupcake
 
Ingredients:
  • 250 plain flour (reserve some for the chocolate chips)
  • 1 tbsp baking power
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 125ml sunflower oil (I use canola oil)
  • 175gm natural yogurt
  • A handful of chocolate chips
  •  
    Icing:
  • 50gm unsalted butter (softened)
  • 175gm icing sugar (sifted)
  • 25gm cocoa powder, sifted
  • Any kind of toppings

  • Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 190°C oven. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
    2. Sprinkle some flour into the chocolate chips and set aside (This is to prevent the chocolate chips sink onto the bottom of the muffin after the bake).
    3. Shift the flour, baking powder and castor sugar into a large bowl.
    4. In another bowl, whisk the vanilla extract, eggs, oil and yogurt together until combined.
    5. Pour the dry ingredient (step 3) into the wet ingredient (step 4) and stir with a spatula until incorporated.
    6. Use a ice cream scoop and divide the batter into the paper cases.
    7. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen or insert the toothpick come out clean.
    8. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    9. For the decoration, put the butter into a bowl and whisk until fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar and mix until combined. Add the cocoa powder and 2 tbsp boiling water and whisk until light and fluffy.
    10. Using a small palette knife, spread the buttercream over the top of each cake.
    11. Decorate with toppings.

    No comments: