Friday, December 20, 2013

Hokkaido Chiffon Cake


This hokkaido chiffon cake has been in my baking list for so long until than recently I decided to bake because one of my colleagues offer us this HCC bought from Polar puffs & cakes. After trying the cake, it motivate me to get on started.

The first time I saw this hcc is at some baking blog and I find it so elegant and look so attractive.




I bought all this beautiful cupcake liners at Taobao, there are lots more different pattern can be found there. Out of all I choose this three cupcake liners and I only bought 3 each, I should have buy more.

I saw Phoon Huat sell this type of square cupcake liners too but pattern wise only have 2 kinds (If I didn't remember wrongly). They sell in bulk like more than 30 for one pattern, so I didn't purchase over there.


I'm so happy with the result, the cake are very light and soft like cotton with the whipping cream is perfect. The cake taste better after fridge to let the cake and whipping cream turn slightly cold. I bought some to the office and offer to a few colleagues, they give a thump up and praise. I glad they like it so much, I will bake this again but other flavour.

Cupcake: Make 9 cupcakes
Ingredient A (Egg Yolk batter):
- 4 egg yolks

- 20gm castor sugar 
- 50ml vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 50ml fresh milk (I use low fat fresh milk)
- 80gm cake flour (Sift)

Ingredient B (Egg White foam):

- 4 egg white
- 50gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Whipping Cream:
- 120gm dairy whipping cream
- 20gm sugar

Method:
  1. Separate the egg yolk and egg white into different bowl (make sure the egg white bowl do not contain any water or oil on it)
  2. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the sugar until the yolk become pale in light yellow colour. Than add in the oil and mix, follow by the milk and mix till incorporated. The surface of the batter should have many small bubbles. 
  3. Add in the sift flour and mix until no trace of flour can be seen. Set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites till stiff peaks form. With a spatula, fold in 1/3 of the meringue into (step 3) and mix. Continue mix the remaining meringue and make sure there are no trace of meringue can be seen in the batter.
  5. Pour batters into cupcake liners, tap the cupcake lightly on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles.
  6. Bake in the pre-heated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes or until insert a toothpick into the centre comes out clean. Place the cupcakes on a wire rack and leave to cool completely before unmold.
  7. Make sure the whipping cream must be cold. I put the bowl in the freezer to let it become cold for about 10 min. After 10 min, I pour the whipping cream and sugar into the bowl and start to whip with the electronic hand mixer. Whip until it become soft peaks and slightly stiff. 
  8. Put the whipping cream in a piping bag, pipe the cream into the center of the cupcakes. Dust with some icing sugar and decorate with some fruits or peppermint leaf. 

No comments: