Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Black Sasame Marble Cake


This is my first attempt on black sesame marble cake. The actual recipe is chocolate marble cake but I want to try something different. I use the same black sesame paste for the flavour instead of powder, can be found in my previous post here.


Disappointed on the marble effect, despite that this is my third attempt on making marble cake yet I still can't get the beautiful swirl pattern that I wanted. I guess the problem either the dark batter portion is too much nor I over swirl the batter when they will combine in the tin.


The cake is wonderfully moist, and it brings out the black sesame aromatic fragrant. But a mistake that I didn't realise that the top part is undercooked. I start eating from the bottom part of the cake and find it pretty awesome than slowly to the top parts texture taste quite wet and soggy. I did check if the cake is cook or not, I insert the tooth pick in and it come out clean but I didn't tap the top to check.

I knew why, initially I afraid the cake might turn brown quickly so I placed the rack at the lowest rack instead at the medium rack. Anyway it is too late when I realise it because is impossible to re-bake after the cake has already cool off.

So I used the knife and cut off the uncooked area and slice into small cubes for easy consume. I find this is a good way offering people the dessert, instead of one whole slice, one cubes pop into the mouth just nice and no crumb will be laying around.

Ingredient:
  • 170gm Unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 170gm castor sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 60ml milk
  • 160gm cake flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 20gm black sesame paste (put lesser if you do not want the strong taste)
Method:
  1. Preheat oven at 160°C with a wire rack in the middle. Line an rectangle or circle cake tin with parchment, butter and flour. Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
  2. Cream butter, sugar and salt in the bowl with a electric hand mixer till light and fluffy.
  3. Beat all the egg in another bowl. Add in the egg a little at a time into step 2 (divide into 5 to 6 times) and continue using the electric hand mixer and beat. *Make sure is mix well before you add in another portion of egg into the batter.
  4. After all the egg have been added and mix well, pour in the milk and vanilla extract and mix well again.
  5. Add in the the flour and baking powder gradually until just incorporated.
  6. Scoop out ¼ of the batter in a separate bowl. Add in the black sesame paste over it and fold to mix well. Pour batters into tin, alternating between the two mixtures. Start with the yellow batter follow by the black sesame batter and repeat the step. Rap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles. With a long skewer or chopstick, swirl around the batter to create the marble effect.
  7. Bake for 40-55 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Tap the top of the cake, make sure is not wet and will slightly bound back after tapping on it.
  8. Cool on wire rack completely before serving. Cake keeps at room temperature up to 3 days and can be frozen up to 3 month.

No comments: