Sunday, December 2, 2012

Kueh Bingka Ambon aka Honeycomb Cake


Ambon is one of my flavour nonya kueh. I ate the first ambon is bought at redhill market, there is a stall selling nonya kueh and this stall sell the best ambon I have even eat. So far I still haven't found a better ambon can fight this stall. I like the chewy texture and the fragrant it bring out once you bite and chew on it. I can't stop having once, at least 3 for me. It come in a small rounded shape. Yum!


I decided to try out myself too, I went research and found this recipe with video guide that is really a good help for me who are inexperience.


It has the chewy texture but still lack of some aroma taste that I want. Although the top is slightly burn but it does not have the burn bitter taste at all. My friend like it, she said quite delicious but I still not satisfy with the taste. Maybe I will modify the recipe if I will to bake again.

*Recipe source:

Ingredients:
  • 85 g sago or tapioca starch
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp instant yeast
  • 145 g eggs
  • 170 ml freshly squeezed coconut milk, undiluted
  • 85 g sugar
  • 20 g young, light green pandan leaves 
Method:
  1. Mix tapioca starch, salt and dry yeast together. Add in the eggs and whisk till smooth. Set aside.
  2. In a small pot, stir the coconut milk and sugar together over medium heat till slightly hotter but not boiling. *pot is too hot to hold but not too hot to touch.
  3. Stir the batter and slowly pour in the coconut milk into batter while continue stirring. *So that egg will not be cooked.
  4. Wash the pandan leaves and cut into small pieces. Pound the pandan leaves finely or blended and strain to yield 1 tsp pandan juice. Discard the pulp and add the juice into batter and mix.
  5. Set the batter at a warm place, covered with a clean towel or wrap with cling-wrap till batter is full of small bubbles about 2½-3 hours.
  6. Gently whisk the starch in the bottom of bowl till just evenly mixed in.
  7. Preheat oven to 160°C with only bottom heat turned on. Line the cake pan with parchment paper.
  8. Pour the batter into cake pan. Bake in the bottom of the oven till batter doesn't jiggle when shake, bake about 35 minutes.
  9. After 35 minutes, increase oven temperature to 180°C. Turn on the oven top heat and move the pan to middle of the oven.
  10. Continue baking till golden brown, another 15 minutes or lesser. *Have a good check, make sure not to over bake the surface.  
  11. Remove the pan from the oven. Unmould by lifting parchment paper. Leave the kueh on a wire rack till cold. Cut into pieces and serve.

No comments: