Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Chocolate Macadamia Scones

 
Scone or Stone? The first time when I saw scones in a bakery shop and I pronounce as stone, but luckily my friend correct me is scone not stone. *embarrassed*

In high tea buffet, scone is one for the limelight item serve in a 3-tier stand. I have never try scone before until recently I bought one from four leaves bakery shop and have a taste. Hmm I find the taste is somehow dry, crumbly, not so flavorful and it will be better to serve with some whipped cream or jam. Is this what a scone suppose to be?

Anyway I bought a "Home Baking" book from popular and it come with a demo VCD for guide. The origin of the book is from Korean and the copy I bought is translated into mandarin chinese word from Taiwan. This is really a great book, is all about baking!


I used one of the recipe from the book and replace another ingredient to macadamia instead of chocolate chips. I still have remaining macadamia nuts to clear and no chocolate chips in my pantry.
 
I not sure is this how the texture suppose to be? Like what I mention earlier, dry and crumbly but with flavorful of cocoa aroma and chunky of macadamia nuts. I not sure if you will like this recipe, but I hope I can do a better one or I should have to try more confectioner scone and note down how is a good scone suppose to taste like.
 
Ingredient:
  • 230gm plain flour
  • 20gm cocoa powder
  • 6gm baking powder
  • 30gm sugar
  • 50gm cold unsalted butter (Cut into small cubes)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 110ml milk
  • 2gm salt
  • 80gm chocolate chips (I replace with macadamia nuts)

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
  2. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar) together in a large bowl.
  3. Using your finger and mix well with the cold butter and dry ingredients together.
  4. In another bowl, combine the egg yolk, milk and salt together and mix well.
  5. Using a spatula, mix step 4 and step 3 together until incorporated and add in the chocolate chips.
  6. Wrap the dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
  7. Use a cookies cutter and shape out the dough to 2 or 3cm in height.
  8. Bake the scone for 25 minutes and leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.

No comments: